Re: English for Asian readers

Subject: Re: English for Asian readers
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 19:14:06 -0800

Stewart Lindsay said:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 1993, Karen Kay wrote:
> > very rude; not as rude as, say, blowing your nose. But it *DOES* reflect

> Even blowing your nose and the like being impolite is context dependent. I
> cannot count the number of times I saw (and most definitely heard) people
> work up a good spit in China (I spent 3 years there). And these were not

I was speaking specifically about Japan, where my expertise lies.
Rather than blow noses, Japanese people tend to suck it down into
their throat and either swallow it or dispose of it sanitarily.
I would have thought that Chinese would do something similar. Guess
not.:)

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com