Re: He's doing it again...duck!

Subject: Re: He's doing it again...duck!
From: Karen Steele <karen -at- BILBO -dot- SUITE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 10:19:59 -0600

+ Would there be a worthwhile purpose (lord, I started this same
+ way a couple of months back, and look what happened...) to
+ present/discuss/commisserate on a product (hard/software) or
+ other means of doing what we do? For example: this week and
+ next (or whenever)--Word and whatever it takes to make a book/
+ online help/etc. Issues like compatibility, ease of use, cost &
+ "ROI"--and like that...

I can't resist this opportunity to whine...
I am familiar with Aldus Persuasion for putting together presentations.
Unfortunately, the version I've
been using belongs to my business partner, and my new workshop is mine alone.
So when I called to
order my very own copy of Persuasion, I was told it is back ordered (competitive
upgrade: $89!). It
would be at least a week.

Well, of course I'd left everything til the last minute & I needed that package
NOW -- I mean
overnight-before-10-the-next-morning. So the mail order house I use (CDW)
suggested I try the new
WordPerfect Presentation package -- it has many neat features, including over
1,000 clip art images.
A competitive upgrade was around $112. (Sounds like a deal to me.)

When I installed the package the system ran out of room (takes 18MB) & I had to
delete a few things
(bye, bye Ventura!). However, on resetting the machine, I found the
installation had wiped out the
Command.com file and Config.Sys. I'm still working at restoring the system.

Has anyone else had these problems?

I wound up putting my presentation together using trusty old FrameMaker. (Had
to borrow a system --
even booting off a DOS disk, windows won't come up w/o Config.Sys. No Windows =
No FrameMaker.)

I assume I'll have the system up, running & spitting out spiffy graphics before
the actual workshop, but
the handouts had to be in today in order to be printed & bound. <Sigh.> The WP
presentation package
looks like it will be wonderful once I get all the "nits" worked out -- if
anyone is interested I can keep
you updated as I use it.

And how is YOUR holiday season going?

K. Steele