Two Techwriting Issues

Subject: Two Techwriting Issues
From: Steven Owens <uso01 -at- MAILHOST -dot- UNIDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 11:35:45 -0600

1) using second person instead of third

We use this. I think it works well. Talk TO the user, not at the user.

2) Framemaker and MS-windows

You may want to take a look at Bristol Technology's HyperHelp. I've
just started to look into this, so I have no hard data. Their
marketing material indicates that you can take a Framemaker file,
convert it to Rich Text Format (rtf) with the hyperhelp compiler,
which Hyperhelp then uses to display information on UNIX (X windows
and vt100). Rich Text Format is the format used to create MS Windows
Help files, so it should be equally compatible with MS Windows. To
quote from a letter from Amy L. Wohltjen of Bristol Technology:

"For those interested in cross-platform help, HyperHelp can use the
same RTF, project, and bitmap files used to create Microsoft Windows
help files."

Send e-mail to info -at- bristol -dot- com to learn more.

Steven J. Owens
uso01 -at- unidata -dot- com