TAN: Oxfam America action alert for Haiti

Subject: TAN: Oxfam America action alert for Haiti
From: "Usability Expertise Center ph.603.881.2430" <raven -at- USABLE -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 10:24:16 EST

TAN--Oxfam America Action Alert for Haiti

Dear Tech"whirlers": I recently received a request from Oxfam
America (A non-profit organization dedicated to relieving world hunger
and suffering) that asked me to use the enet to write to President
Clinton. Since we are technical communicators who use the net to
communicate with each other on a daily basis, I thought I'd post the
Oxfam request for 2 reasons: one, you might be prompted to write the
Mr. Clinton if you sympathize with the Haitian cause. Two, as a person
who studies communication and use of communications media, I found the
letter and request interesting.

"Oxfam America has joined with other organizations in making Thursday,
December 16th a day to draw the nation's attention to the dire crisis
in Haiti. You voice must be heard on Dec. 16th--the third anniversary
of the democratic election of President Aristide.

Human suffering in Haiti has never been worse. Extreme poverty,
hunger, and hunger-related illnesses are taking a dramatic toll on the
country's poor majority.
[a few paragraphs from the lettr-writer who describes his recent trip
to Haiti have not been typed in]

Send email to the president at
President -at- whitehouse -dot- gov
send a fax to 202-465-2883

Let him know that you believe the United States should take the lead
in urging an end to the intolerable situation in Haiti and an immediate
return of democracy.

Ask President Clinton to:
1. Keep his promise to impelment the Governor's Island accords
2. Impose additional sactions (excepting only humanitarian relief
supplies)
3. Ensure safe passage for humanitarian relief
4. Immediately return UN human rights monitors.

John C. Hammock
Executive Director

[all typos are mine]
I have a personal interest in this matter because my sister-in-law and
her family immigrated from Haiti about 23 years ago; they still have
family there now, and, as I'm sure you know, it is much more difficult
for Hatians to get to the U.S. now. My sister-in-law, her parents, and
younger sister, are now all tax-paying citizens of the U.S.

Mary Beth Raven
Digital Equipment Corporation
Nashua NH [all company disclaimers apply]
Raven -at- usable -dot- enet -dot- dec -dot- com