Connecting to the net from home

Subject: Connecting to the net from home
From: Gregory=Kushmerek%AcctgMed%FIN -at- HUMRES-SERVER -dot- NET -dot- TUFTS -dot- EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1993 08:58:16 EST

>> From: Ken d'Albenas <kendal -at- AUTOTROL -dot- CUC -dot- AB -dot- CA>
>> Subject: How does one plug into the Internet?

>>In each of our STC chapter's newsletters, I write
>>a few words about all the action on the Internet.
>>As a result, more and more members are interested
>>in signing on. But how?

>Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 17:09:17 -0700
>From: "Chuck Petch, Editor" <PETCH -at- GVG47 -dot- GVG -dot- TEK -dot- COM>

>Ken, connecting to Internet from home requires two items: (1) a fast
>modem (9600 baud or better), (2) terminal emulation software that is capable
>of making a SLIP connection to a UNIX host (VersaTerm, for example), and
>(3) a UNIX host to log into.

I think that this may be over-kill. Why SLIP? I work from home on
occasion and I connect through a UNIX host using a text-based interface.
Mail, news, gopher, and anything else that I want to use comes over
fine.

What would SLIP accomplish? I would have to buy some kind of TCP/IP
package for my home GUI (there's no point to SLIP without a GUI, IMO). It
would be nice to run an X-app here or there, but it's hardly neccessary.
If anything, SLIP costs you more money because it takes more time for
your home system to receive and build the graphic image. If you're
only at 9600, this will make your connection seem very slow. All of
this for a pot of extra money on software? Maybe you need it if
you're running IMSL graphics off your server, but otherwise SLIP is
just a toy if you're only running a mail package and some news-reader.

To be completely honest - if all you're going to do is read mail, then
a 2400 baud modem is fine. Moreover, if you're in the boonies, it may
be all you can get.

While I don't know too much about the service providers out your way,
I know that around here (in Boston) there are a number of companies
sprouting up with text-based Internet service. If you have access
to USENET, check net.access.wanted.

Follow-ups to me via e-mail please,

--gk

Greg Kushmerek