Re: Using the Term "User"

Subject: Re: Using the Term "User"
From: "Charles P. Campbell" <cpc -at- PRISM -dot- NMT -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1993 11:05:32 MST

OK, please correct my last. I have to agree with Gary Detmers, who wrote, >

At our company we have moved away from the term "the user" to a more friendly
and personal voice by using a different person. We now say "you" in our
manuals to give the reader the feeling that she is recognized by the writer.
"You" saves the user the bother of having to identify with some abstract role
such as user, operator, etc. (BTW, _you_ was 2nd person, last I looked.)

Chuck Campbell, Assoc. Prof. *
Technical Communication Program * In chaos
Humanities Department *
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology*
Socorro, NM 87801 *
Voice 505-835-5284 * there is possibility
email cpc -at- nmt -dot- edu *