Re: Using the Term "User"

Subject: Re: Using the Term "User"
From: Ann Amsler <aamsler -at- BACH -dot- UDEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 13:40:22 -0500

We, too, at the University of Delaware, have been using "you" for about ten
years in our documents. It makes understanding the documents a lot easier and
can even make them a bit shorter--important to us for saving trees and to our
budgets too. I think someone who wants to learn a program, how to do a
particular activity, etc. would much rather read "Click the mouse button" than
"the user should now click the mouse button" or, even worse, "the mouse button
should now clicked by the user."
Ann Amsler