Multimedia

Subject: Multimedia
From: Charles Sides <csides -at- FSCVAX -dot- FSC -dot- MASS -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 15:20:32 EST

I appreciate the information I have received so far about interactive
multimedia communications and the appropriate way to educate/train persons
for entry into this exciting and growing field. Unfortunately, there
have not been that many responses. Maybe this is not as hot a topic as
grammar and spelling :)

What I can do, however, is be more precise. Currently, our multimedia
major requires students to take the following 8 core courses:

Writing for Interactive Communications
Graphic Design I
Introduction to Television Production*
Electronic Field Production*
TV Studio Production*
Interactive Communication System Design
Sound Production*
Interactive Video Production

Out of these eight courses, four are from our television major, the ones with
asterisks. My sense is, given how I see the field maturing, that this is
an overly heavy reliance on television production, even though historically
video has been one of the driving concerns of multimedia. Nonetheless,
having students take 50% of their courses in standard television production
negates the possibility of adding courses in computer animation, morphing,
or even exploring the realms of virtual reality.

So, I would really like the opinions of persons who have a professional
interest in this and who, perhaps, are also thinking about where this
field is going.

Thanks again.

Charles Sides (csides -at- fscvax -dot- fsc -dot- mass -dot- edu)
Chair, Department of Communications/Media
Fitchburg State College
Fitchburg, MA 01420