Defining the Audience

Subject: Defining the Audience
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1993 09:53:00 EST

Brad notes (in "Documentation Plan"):
***
1. Most technical communicators never _really_ talk to or even meet,
in fact, the audience for their documents, something that reveals our
lack of commitment to defining the audience, purpose, and goals of our
documentation.
***

Define "our". I am very committed to defining my audience, purpose
and goals. BUT I consistently run into a very large barrier,
sometimes known as corporate apathy, sometimes known as too close a
tie to the bottom line. In other words, they _won't_ send me to meet
the users and we don't have any clients in San Diego, where I could
just drive to their site.

I don't mean to flame, but I really don't think it's a lack of
committment on the part of the technical writer.

Now, if you meant "our" as in Corporate America, I have to agree.

Bonni Graham |
Technical Writer |
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab |
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | flush, v. Align type to the
President, San Diego STC | left or right, thereby
| beating a pair of aces
NOTE: apparently my email address needs |
to be typed exactly as it appears here, | --Ezra Shapiro
punctuation and all, or the system gets |
upset. |