Re: Translating Ventura

Subject: Re: Translating Ventura
From: Bonni Graham <Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 09:56:00 EST

Beth wrote:
I thought I'd ask you all if you are aware of whether (and how completely)
Ventura docs can be transformed into Word/Frame. It has lots of graphics.
***

The first thing to realize is that a Ventura document is made up of several
COMPLETELY SEPARATE parts. It is not like a Word document (or Frame, either, I
guess, although I've never worked with Frame). All the main Ventura document
(the .chp file) does is store the location of all the other files. The graphics
are stored in their own files, the text is stored in its own files, etc. There
are a couple of other Ventura configuration files (it's been six months since I
worked wit the program, so I don't remember what they're called).

I can't help you translate the thing, but I did want to make sure you knew that
you weren't talking about a single document. (e.g., you can send someone the
.chp file, and if you don't include the files it points to, the person receivin
the file will never be able to look at it).

You can bring up the text in Word, but it will be full of formatting codes that
may or may not tranfer to Word styles -- but at least you can look at the text!

Bonni Graham | documentation, n. What passes
Technical Writer | for humor in the computer in-
Easel Corporation, ENFIN Technology Lab | dustry. A transcript of Sat-
Bonni_Graham_at_Enfin-SD -at- relay -dot- proteon -dot- com | urday Night Live as hosted
President, San Diego STC | by Torquemada --Ezra Shapiro