Tutorials/User Guides

Subject: Tutorials/User Guides
From: Stuart Selber <SSELBER -at- MTUS5 -dot- CTS -dot- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 16:50:21 EST

ie. tutorials (sorry I can't find the initial query:

One issue you obviously want to consider is how people learn and the variety of
ways you might support that learning in your tutorial. Check out Davida
Charney, Lynne Reder, and Gail Wells's "Studies of Elaboration in Instructional
Texts" (in _Effective Documentation: What We Have Learned from Research_. Ed.
Doheny-Farina, MIT Press, 1988, ISBN 0-262-04098-0). They review three active
learning strategies common in tutorials, but then argue that tutorials
developed with these stratedgies are often inadequate for skill learning. Worth
a look if your starting from the ground up.

Stuart

Stuart Selber
Michigan Technological University