Re: Q: Word vs. Frame

Subject: Re: Q: Word vs. Frame
From: sanders_j -at- TBOSCH -dot- DNET -dot- GE -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1993 11:42:31 EDT

Hi All,

>I am currently using Word to produce some lengthy manuals. They are
>My company is considering purchasing Frame for me, but we are worried
>Because the
>documents are really not that fancy (in terms of layout), I wonder if
>Frame is really necessary? I do know that it much better equipped to
>handle large documents...Personally, I have never used it.
>-Katie Schuler
>-ABB, Automated Distribution Division
>-Raleigh, NC

FrameMaker is a very powerful word processor, besides being a fantastic
layout program. Although you may not take advantage (yet) of the layout
features in FrameMaker, the book management features will save you HOURS
of time over Word, and after a while you'll wonder how you ever got by
without it. It will have some start up time to get going on it; it's a
complex program. Once you're away, however, you should be able to produce
the same documents in 1/3 of the time it takes you now.

I believe FrameMaker has several export filters, but you should call the
people at Frame to find out specifically.

If you find the management hesitant to buy, show them how much of an
investment this is and how much they could GROW into this program.
FrameMaker is set up to do color, large or small documents, online
documentation/help, all sorts of things that they may need in the future.
Buying Frame now will allow them to have those tools when they're needed
rather than trying to buy/learn/implement a new program when the need is
breathing down your neck.

Hope this helps...

-John Sanders-