Re: Grad school vs. the real w

Subject: Re: Grad school vs. the real w
From: Oppelt <tscom008 -at- DUNX1 -dot- OCS -dot- DREXEL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1993 20:24:03 -0500

Gordon Meyer writes:

>I totally agree with Len, the yearn for someone to get a "couple
>years experience" before going on to grad school quickly becomes 5,
>10, 15,... years before they can go back to school. I'd advise your
>student to go to school _now_. It's easier to enter the work market
>late than leave the market for school. I suppose one could always do
>both (take classes and work) but I think that's a poor compromise.
>Grad school, in my opinion, is best experienced full-time.

I wish I had the option to experience grad school full-time. Financial
realities (and my marriage right out of college), however, put grad school
on the back burner until I got a job with a company that would pay my way.
Last month I began in a Masters' program. I love my wife (and my baby
daughter), I enjoy my job, and I am thrilled to be back in an academic
setting - but I am extremely overcommitted and all three commitments get
short weight. I wouldn't change any of my decisions, but I don't think my
current pace is for everyone. Set your priorities early on and go after
what you REALLY want. The "real world" (if it exists) can wait.

Bill Oppelt
DuPont Merck Pharmaceuticals/
Drexel University
tscom008 -at- dunx1 -dot- ocs -dot- drexel -dot- edu