Re: accuracy & phrasing in documentation

Subject: Re: accuracy & phrasing in documentation
From: Susan Gallagher <Susan_Gallagher_at_Enfin-SD -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1993 11:14:00 EST

Reply to: Gary Beason <bubba -at- EXPERT -dot- CC -dot- PURDUE -dot- EDU>

Original Message (partial)
>My question is related to the recent discussion about terms like "PC
>computer." When should technical accuracy be sacrificed (if that is
>the appropriate word choice) for the sake of users' understanding,
>particularly if the product has a varied consumer market

>In some instances, particularly with "new" technology, I can see the
>point of using accurate terms to educate the audience. But with
>some products, a technically inaccurate terminology may be more
>appropriate.

In my opinion, it is ***never*** acceptable to be intentionally inaccurate
(although at times it is necessary to be suitably vague). If we are not the
ones to educate the user, then who?????

Whatever happened to "Personal Computer (PC)"????? Whatever happened to
defining your terms before you use them? It seems to me that in being
intentionally inaccurate to prevent the vegetables in our audience from learning
something we run the risk of confusing those in our audience who are actually
conscious.

Perhaps we need to take a second look at the line in the STC Code for
Communicators that states, "...responsibility to communicate technical
information *truthfully*, clearly, and economically." Or perhaps we should
borrow a portion of the hypocratic oath and simply vow to "...do no harm."

Just my $1.69 (inflation being what it is).

Sue Gallagher at Enfin SD