Re: Pet Peeves

Subject: Re: Pet Peeves
From: Faith Weber <weber -at- EASI -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 12:57:03 PDT

Steve complains:

> >Then there're
redundancies: "PC computer"

Jim responds:

> >This could serve an instructive purpose for an audience who
does not know that the PC IS a computer. Ditto for "ABS braking
system." What is redundancy for one audience might be a helpful
apposition for another.

****
Sorry, Jim, but I don't buy it. Rather than being redundant, why
not do the right thing (IMO) and spell out the abbreviation when
it's first mentioned, e.g. "PC (personal computer)" or "personal
computer (or PC)"?

"PC computer" doesn't tell readers unfamiliar with the term "PC"
what kind of computer it is, and "ABS braking system" doesn't tell
readers unfamiliar with "ABS" what kind of braking system it is.
Since we have to use all these stupid acronyms in our day-to-day
life, we ought to explain their exact meaning, not gloss over them
with a partially accurate redundancy.

No offense, but half-explained jargon is one thing that really
bugs me! (Can you tell I've encountered a bit of this on the job? :)

Faith