Re: Punctuation in 24 hour system (fwd)

Subject: Re: Punctuation in 24 hour system (fwd)
From: Kaye Sykes <kaye -at- UNIFACE -dot- NL>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 10:30:48 +0100

> Does anyone know the preferred way to punctuate 24-hour time when you need
> to include seconds. Chicago recommends using no punctuation, as in 0900
> for 9:00 a.m., but says nothing about seconds. What if you want to write
> something like 09:21:34?

> Robert Bononno

According to my GPO Style Manual (March 1984), point 12.9b, military
or astronomical time is written without punctuation (e.g., 0025) but
a stopwatch reading is written 08:31:04.

In point 9.59, it says:
In astrophysical and similar scientific matter, magnitudes and
units of time may be expressed as follows, if so written in copy.
(See also "Clock time," rule 12.9b.)
2M3 5h3m9s 4.5h

You must imagine that the M is a small-cap superscript with a big period
under it. (Anyone know what this is?) The `h', `m', and `s' are also set
as superscripts.

This helps, maybe?

Kaye Sykes