Quotes

Subject: Quotes
From: Anatole Wilson <awilson -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 08:14:59 PDT

Okay, maybe I'm a little late, but here's some of my favorite quotes about
writing (some more loosely than others):

"Satire's my weapon, but I'm too discreet to run amuck, and tilt at all I
meet." --Alexander Pope

"Good heavens! For more than forty years I have been speaking prose without
knowing it." --Moliere

"Another damned, thick, square book! Always scribble, scribble, scribble! Eh,
Mr. Gibbon?" --William Henry, Duke of Gloucester, upon receiving Volume II of
Gibbon's "The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire."

"I'll publish right or wrong: Fools are my theme, let satire be my song."--
Lord Byron

"It is the fault of our rhetoric that we cannot strongly state one fact
without seeming to belie some other."--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I would sooner read a timetable or a catalog than nothing at all. They are
much more entertaining than half the novels that are written."--W. Somerset
Maugham

"Words ought to be a little wild for they are the assaults of thought on the
unthinking."--John Maynard Keynes

"If a person feels he can't communicate, the least he can do is shut up
about it."--Professor Tom Lehrer

And my personal motto...

"I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me."--A.A. Milne,
Winnie The Pooh

Anatole Wilson
Sr. Assoc. Information Developer
IBM, Santa Teresa Labs