black technical writers

Subject: black technical writers
From: Chuck Banks <chuck -at- ASL -dot- DL -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 10:33:03 CDT

One side of the race and gender issue does affect technical
communicators and that is employment. I received the
following questions from Mike McPherson. He asked that I
echo them to TECHWR-L for further comment.

>I have a question, no, actually two questions. Do you know of
>any black technical writers (either male of female)? I am
>interested in finding out because I am a black graduate
>student in technical and professional communication here at East
>Carolina University (actually the only one) and I am interested
>in how well my people cope as technical writers on the job.

>Again, thanks for everything and I hope to hear from you soon.
>Oh, if you have no idea of any black technical writers, do you
>think you could forward this to the listserv? They are debating
>(as I'm sure you know) something other than technical writing issues

I passed on my experiences with minority technical writers I've
known and worked with. My experiences have all been positive.
As I told, Mike, I have seen no evident discrimination in any
department where I've worked. Limited though my experience may
be on this issue, I think my experiences speak well of our
profession in the area of equality.

So, let's here about your experiences. Have you or has someone
you know in technical communication experienced the 'old boy net'
or the 'glass ceiling?' Or is technical communication leading
the other professions in practicing equal opportunity?

Chuck Banks
--
|\\ | || // Chuck Banks
| \\ | ||_______ || Senior Technical Writer
| \\ | || || NEC America, Inc.
| \\| \\______ \\______ E-Mail: chuck -at- asl -dot- dl -dot- nec -dot- com
America, Incorporated CompuServe: 72520,411