Thank You

Subject: Thank You
From: MSTSACX -at- GSUVM1 -dot- BITNET
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1993 00:09:14 EDT

As an officer the Society for Technical Communication (STC), I'd like to
acknowledge the contributions of Eric Ray, who conceived of--and runs--
this list. What many of you might not know is that Eric does all of
this work on his own. He receives no special support from his school or
his employer or from STC--he just does this because it's the right thing
to do. That's an example that many of us could learn from.

And with that in mind, I'd like to clear up a bit of confusion about
this list and the STC. One of the STC chapter newsletters boldly
declared that STC now has its own list. Well, I hope this note gives
credit where it's truly due. This is Eric's list, not STC's.

I think I speak for all of us in STC, however, when I say how much this
list has helped our organization; chapters promote events through it and
managers receive help with their projects. We apologize if we sometimes use
STC terminology and acronyms without first defining them and if we don't
always say thank you to the list when we use it to promote the
Society.

Similarly, in their enthusiasm to share the excitement of this list with their
readers, some STC newsletter editors are reprinting contributions to this list.
Although the contributors are given a byline, some of the articles seem a bit
strange out of the context of the list. Some are published, too, without the
prior permission of the contributor. With the ease with which we can now
download and print online information, we sometimes forget about copyrights
and permissions. If any STC Newsletter Editor is reading this list,
please check with a contributor before printing the information they posted.

techniques about technical communication. Eric, thanks for providing
this service.

Saul Carliner, Second Vice-President
Society for Technical Communication
Note new userid----> mstsacx -at- gsuvm1 -dot- gsu -dot- edu 404/892-3945