Etymological query

Subject: Etymological query
From: Randy Allen Harris <raha -at- WATARTS -dot- UWATERLOO -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 14:56:43 -0400

From _Real Times_, the newsletter of the Greater Boston Chapter of
the ACM, via Jane Torpie <Jane_Torpie_at_III-HQ -at- RELAY -dot- PROTEON -dot- COM>, came
this line:

>"A foobar consists of sequences of non-blank characters separated by

Now, is this "foobar" related in any way to the "fubar" my students recently
introduced me to (an acronymn, where the "f" is the "f" of "snafu" and the
remainder is "up beyond all recognition")?

Randy Allen Harris raha -at- watarts -dot- uwaterloo -dot- ca
Rhetoric and Professional Writing 519 885-1211, x5362
English, U of Waterloo FAX: 519 884-8995
Waterloo ON, CANADA, N2L 3G1