Recent sexism postings

Subject: Recent sexism postings
From: ROSE NORMAN <UAHRXN01 -at- UAHVAX1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1993 07:26:00 CST

I was disturbed to read Road Angel's angry posting regarding whatever
Nine is supposed to have said about apparent sexism in Bill Condon's
posting (which I guess I missed). Condon'd reply was somewhat less
distubting, but still I am moved to point out that both these postings
aim to educate Nina about the meaning of sexism. Would you similarly
write to an African-American who had pointed out racism in a posting?
Arguments about sexism, like those about racism, make little progress
when members of the dominant group take the posture of educating tose
those in the subordinate group. We all have much to learn from each other,
but I have more to learn about racism from African-Americans and other
people of color than they have to learn from me. Similarly, men have more
to learn about sexism from women than women from men. Truly.
Rose

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty.
Failing that, be kind.
Failing that, be quiet.