Re: A Controversial Thought

Subject: Re: A Controversial Thought
From: Dave Walker <walker -at- RANKIN -dot- ASPENTEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1993 09:53:26 EST

MSTSACX -at- gsuvm1 -dot- bitnet (Saul Carliner) writes:

> we heard the common complaint about technical people making
> editorial changes.

> Our typical response is telling them that we are supposed to handle all
> editorial issues and they should only focus on technical issues.

> And to that I say--BUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen!

> And by the way, how do you think they feel when we tell them how to
> program (especially interfaces)?

It depends. Are we talking interface design, or coding?

With interface design,

If they They feel So I get
--------- --------- --------
liked the suggestion good that I'm working listened to
with the product to
make it more usable.
threatened
because I'm treading on
'their' turf

did not like the good that I'm working ignored
suggestion with the product to
make it more usable.
good because I
made a 'stupid'
suggestion

thought the change upset that the suggestion mildly attacked
would involve too came too late to be added. (Why do it that way?
work (liked sugges.) Threatened because I'm We've always done it
treading on their 'turf' this way.)

thought the change good that I'm working ignored
would invlove too with the product to. laughed at
work (did not like make it more usable
sugges.) good because I made
a 'stupid' sugges.

With coding, I get:

If they They feel So I get
--------- --------- --------
liked the suggestion threatened ingnored

did not like the good because I made laughed at
suggestion a 'stupid' sugges.
threatened

development engineer **X** __| 0 ***|_|*o**** -at- !*&#***** {
for documentation **** Please excuse the mess;*******0******( \