Re: Simple question and/or

Subject: Re: Simple question and/or
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 15:45:49 -0500

> Okay, it's early in the day and my brain is failing so I'm writing for help.
> I've got this sentence: With FTP you can transmit ASCII and binary files.

> An editor changed the "and" to "or"? So???

> Laura Praderio

"And" implies you can send them at the same time. With FTP, you send a
file as one or the other in any given send operation.

If you really wanted to use "and", you'd have to repeat the verb, as in

"With FTP you can transmit ASCII files and you can transmit binary
files."

The editor seems correct here, IMHO.

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"The things you see when don't have |
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA| your gun." - My buddy, Jim McD. |
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|