Postal abbreviations

Subject: Postal abbreviations
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 1993 10:54:13 IST

> those 2-letter postal abbreviations are pretty much
> _effectively_ obsolete. The street address and zip/
> postal code are what the posties use for standard
> processing.

** But the 2-letter postal abbreviations were introduced
on the same occasion as the 5-digit ZIP code. (Before
that, all we had were abbreviations like Mass. and
Penna.) Maybe someone at the time thought redundant
machine-readable information would help ensure accuracy?

Mark L. Levinson
mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com