Information Mapping

Subject: Information Mapping
From: Jim Taylor <j -dot- taylor5 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 1993 02:35:00 BST

I'm trying again on this post. The last time I tried sending
it from GEnie, the end of two paragraphs were cut off. Hope
it works better this time.

>> We (the Univ. of Wash. Development Division) purchased
>> the software for Information Mapping, and felt it was well
>> worth the price. I mean, I'm sure it would take some time
>> to develop the macros on your own, and time is money! I'd
>> rather spend the time writing, not macro programming. (Just
>> my preference.)

Sarah,

I did not do the research into the software for the mapping page
layouts, because I was using DECwrite (From Digital Equipment
Company) and there were no templates. Someone else, back then,
purchased a copy of the WinWord template and found it did not do
everything the way we wanted. If we had to rewrite part of it, why
not write all of it. I also seem to remember we had to purchase a
copy for each PC we ran it on. There are a *lot* of PCs at all the
company sites around the world.

By the time I finished figuring out how to do the block labels
and indented text blocks in DECwrite, I was agreeing with you about
wanting to spend time writing, not macro programming. DECwrite
version 1.0 was lacking in that area and did not have a table builder.
At least a table builder was added in version 2.

Do you teach or use the Information Mapping method at the University?

Jim Taylor
j -dot- taylor5 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com