Indexing advice

Subject: Indexing advice
From: Paula Reynolds <PAULAR -at- HISPEED -dot- MHS -dot- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1993 13:50:32 EDT

Hey folks.

Yup, it's the clueless one asking for advice from the net.

I'm looking for good references and advice on writing indexes (indexi?).
I've never done one, never thought about doing one, and am about to start
one. I'm using Word for Windows v.2.0c.

I guess a specific question I have is what is the logic behind indexing?
I mean, if the WinWord manual is to be believed, I should decide how many
levels I'll have, and then go through the chapters and pick out what
seems relevant. Somehow, I think this is a tad simplistic, but as I said
earlier, I'm pretty much clueless.

Thanks for the advice, and enjoy the holiday weekend.

Paula Reynolds
Technical Writer
Hi-Speed Checkweigher Co., Inc.
5 Barr Road