Information Mapping

Subject: Information Mapping
From: Chet Cady <cady -at- OCLC -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1993 09:23:39 -0400

There =are= no objective opinions about InfoMapping that I've found.
People either love it or loathe it, and the best they can do is couch
their opinions in objective-sounding terms. Unfortunately, some of
its most ardent proponents include some of its worst enemies because
they don't practice it well (IMHO). At a place where I used to work,
they converted to what they =called= InfoMapping, but it was a clumsy
implementation, the sort that would make a casual observer say that
InfoMapping is replacing text with charts. It's much deeper than
that: it's also a tool for helping writers think about their subject
and helping them help subject-matter experts think about and
communicate their technical expertise. (Gee, guess which side of the
fence I'm on.)

Chet Cady
cady -at- oclc -dot- org