Engineers as Writers

Subject: Engineers as Writers
From: "Bradford A. Morgan" <bmorgan -at- SILVER -dot- SDSMT -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 17:34:25 -0600

The fall semester is almost upon us here in this engineering and
science college in the Black Hills, and I'll have about a
hundred students in our two required technical communications
courses, taken by students after freshman composition in their
sophomore and senior years. Our writing program is designed to
make the graduates into capable technical writers and speakers,
almost as if there were no professional technical writers in
industry (represented by lists like techwr-l and organizations
like STC). I'm still trying to collect additional insights into
what are the current writing practices of engineers--and find
the point at which the engineer or scientist yields to the
professional technical writer.

Bradford Morgan
South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
bmorgan -at- silver -dot- sdsmt -dot- edu