Re: Licensing tech. communicators

Subject: Re: Licensing tech. communicators
From: Mona Albano <albano -at- PROMIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1993 17:02:31 EDT

> I am not fond of licensing. As professionals, we have degrees and
certification
> programs already available. When I decided to pursue a career in technical
> writing, I went back to school to get a technical writing certificate (I
> already had a BA degree). I continued my education by reading, attending
> STC conferences, joining STC, etc.

> For those who might not have this option, perhaps STC could provide
> a certification exam, but I wouldn't require it of all
writers/communicators...

I agree with Carrie. In spite of good intentions, licensing
tends to become a way to shelter the mediocre and bar the
talented from competing. Look at medicine -- where the College
of Physicians and Surgeons, or the OMA (AMA to you folks
south of the border) is reluctant to discipline incompetent
or transgressing doctors...