List of Lists

Subject: List of Lists
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1993 08:54:02 CDT

To get a complete list of all listserv lists, send a
mail message to:
LISTSERV -at- KSUVM -dot- BITNET

On the first line, type:
LIST GLOBAL

This command will send you a huge file (roughly 500 K
or so). If you know what you are looking for, you can
ask for a global list which includes a specific topic.
For example, send a message to the above address and
type:
LIST GLOBAL /WRITING

This command would send you a list of all lists which
include the word "writing" in the name or 60 character
list description. Interestingly, because of the way I
phrased the description of this list for technical
communication, LIST GLOBAL /WRITING doesn't score a hit
on this list--I said "Writers" in the list description.
If you want to improve your chances, truncate the
search term. For example, send the message:
LIST GLOBAL /WRIT

This search would hit all lists with "write," "WRITE,"
"Writing," or anything else with the sub-string "writ."

BTW, note that the LISTSERV address I mentioned above
is not the same one I usually tell people to use. KSUVM
is a backbone server, so it has access to information
that OSUVM does not.

If you have questions, drop me a line. I can assure you
all that my information on this topic is far more
accurate and useful than my misinformation on the
subject of copyrights.

Eric
ejray -at- okway -dot- okstate -dot- edu