Re: 40th Conference in Dallas *tips*

Subject: Re: 40th Conference in Dallas *tips*
From: Matt Abe <MATTA -at- COUNTY -dot- LMT -dot- MN -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1993 09:49:00 CST

On 3 Aug 1993, LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM> wrote:

> I think it would be great for experienced attendees to put
> together a list of really practical tips for making the best use of
> attending Annual Conference.

My tips:

1. The day before the conference proper begins, the STC conducts
"first timer" sessions to get the most out of the conference.

2. The conference registration materials (and Intercom) usually
include many such tips.

3. A couple of years ago, they started printing a set of blank,
perforated schedule grids in the final program. I liked them. They
helped me to organize my time. Unfortunately, they are way in the
back and easy to miss -- until you've already worked through the
entire program!

How Much it Costs, IMHO
=======================

The cost of the Annual Conference is a good deal. For a few hundred
bucks, you can attend nine or ten technical sessions that would
otherwise cost almost that much EACH if purchased from a consultant or
training company. The Annual Conference also offers a wide variety
of topics, at a _single location_, in a short period of time. The
networking, schmoozing, and commiserating with fellow tech comm folks
is a plus. No one understands (or cares much about) the joys and
heartaches of tech writing like another tech writer (or "Information
Developer" if they're from IBM ;-) ). The Annual Conference is a very
cost-effective way to accomplish a lot in a short period of time.

See y'all in Minneapolis next year! :-)

Matthew Abe Internet: matta -at- county -dot- lmt -dot- mn -dot- org
Manager, Engineering Services
LaserMaster Corporation
7156 Shady Oak Road
Eden Prairie, MN 55344