Re: Font Info

Subject: Re: Font Info
From: Jerry Peek <jerry -at- ORA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 07:05:28 -0700

> -adobe-helvetica-medium-r-normal--12-120-75-75-p-67-iso8859-1

> I would like to obtain detailed information about each of the fields in the
> definition. Can anyone point me in the right direction? :>)

Chapter 6 of our book "X Window System User Guide," by Valerie Quercia
and Tim O'Reilly, is all about X Window System fonts.

> In particular, the field fourth from the right, which in the above definition
> contains the letter "p", I think defines the type of spacing between letters.

The book says: All standard Release 5 fonts are either: "p"
(proportional, i.e., variable-width); "m" (monospace, i.e.,
fixed-width); or "c" (character cell, a fixed-width font based on the
traditional typewriter model, in which each character can be thought to
take up the space of a "box" of the same height and width).

I hope that helps, Margaret.
--
Jerry Peek, O'Reilly & Associates, jerry -at- ora -dot- com, +1 707-829-0515