comment sheets

Subject: comment sheets
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1993 15:42:11 IDT

Simon North writes (among a great deal more):

I have tried reader's comments forms with four different companies.
Based on my experience, if you get *any* response you are lucky.

My experience as a writer is the same. As a reader, I notice that some
comment forms make the task of responding difficult by asking things like
"How often do you consult the manual?" which can't be answered immediately.
By the time I can intelligently answer that one, I've probably forgotten
the comment sheet is in there. Or "Please list all inaccuracies you have
found in the manual." I'm not going to sit down and QA the whole manual
at once, so when am I supposed to answer that one-- the day I leave my job?

I think it's good that some manuals include several comment sheets, so that I
needn't worry about using one even if I don't have a definitive opinion
yet, or even if I'm not the only person who might want to comment.
Maybe there should be comment sheets between the chapters, like advertisements,
so that you couldn't easily ignore them. Or maybe surveys should be sent
separately as follow-ups.

Then there are various electronic alternatives, particularly if your
customers have e-mail...

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com
Publications Manager | Voice: +972-9-584684, ext. 230 (work),
SEE Technologies Ltd. | +972-9-552411 (home)
Box 544, Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-543917
"Graphical user interfaces make simple things simple
and complicated things impossible."
- Marty Leisner