Reply to: Re: Job Information

Subject: Reply to: Re: Job Information
From: Chet_Cady -at- OCLC -dot- ORG
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1993 10:42:44 -0400

CEO document conShort message
From: Chet Cady:CEO
Date: ## 07/21/93 10:38 ##
It =does= seem that nearly all tech writers write for the computer
industry, and to a certain extent, =every= field is related to
electronic processors in some way. But I know in Columbus, Ohio,
there are tech writing jobs in medicine (and related fields) that
your major may have aptly prepared you for. (A lot of hi-tech
medicine is computer related, though.)

One place needs needs to write up all kinds of clinical data for
nutritional formulas (formulae?) that they're developing, and while
data gathering and analysis may use computers, a lot of the
interpretation has to be done by doctors, nutritionists, biologists,
&c., who may not have the "word gene" and need people like you whose
verbal and scientific expertise can make them look good and make
their products, services, and research useful to others.

Chet Cady
cady -at- oclc -dot- org

From: ly07+ -at- ANDREW -dot- CMU -dot- EDU:smtp
Date: ## 07/21/93 10:13 ##
I will be graduating next year with a double major in Biology/Tech.
Writing from Carnegie Mellon University. Do most tech. writers work for
a computer firm? I have just recently subscribed to this bboard and
everything I read seems to be about computer manual writing. Are there
other job opportunities out there? I am very interested finding out the
outlook for jobs in the technical writing field, so I hope the responses
Allison's post will be posted to the board or if possible sent directly
to me.

Thank you in advance! :)

Laurie