Re: Usage question

Subject: Re: Usage question
From: Len Olszewski <saslpo -at- UNX -dot- SAS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 11:17:41 -0500

Mark Levinson writes:

> I know that in everyday English a suite must consist of more than one
> room. Does anyone know if there is any justification for an exception
> in the case of a demo suite? Or is that phrase not a special item of jargon
> that has any impact, if only one room is involved, on "how suite it is"?

You typically say "suite" when you really mean "suite of rooms". A
"suite" is a collection of things that forms a unit, not necessarily a
collection of rooms. When you say "demo suite", you could just as easily
mean a "collection of demos". Of course, you'd have to smile, er,
"suitely" when you said it. Oh, stop groaning; I didn't start it...

|Len Olszewski, Technical Writer |"Never give anything a name that you|
|saslpo -at- unx -dot- sas -dot- com|Cary, NC, USA|might have to eat." -Klingon Proverb|
| Opinions this ludicrous are mine. Reasonable opinions will cost you.|