Usage question

Subject: Usage question
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- MATIS -dot- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1993 11:57:58 IDT

My R&D friends at work went off to an exposition where, as is common
practice, they demonstrated their new product not only in the exhibition
hall but also in a "demo suite" elsewhere in the hotel.

Now they are back and geared up to present further demos here at the
plant. They have allocated a small room and put a sign on the
door saying, naturally enough, "demo suite."

I know that in everyday English a suite must consist of more than one
room. Does anyone know if there is any justification for an exception
in the case of a demo suite? Or is that phrase not a special item of jargon
that has any impact, if only one room is involved, on "how suite it is"?

Mark L. Levinson | E-mail: mark -at- matis -dot- ingr -dot- com
Publications Manager | Voice: +972-9-584684, ext. 230 (work),
SEE Technologies Ltd. | +972-9-552411 (home)
Box 544, Herzlia, ISRAEL | Fax: +972-9-543917
"Graphical user interfaces make simple things simple
and complicated things impossible."
- Marty Leisner