Re[2]: Dress Code

Subject: Re[2]: Dress Code
From: Kenyon Erickson <kenyone -at- SMTPLINK -dot- MICROS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1993 16:54:04 EST

> The research that I am interested in is how writers learn and
> deal with the constraints of the workplace for which they com-
> pose. One of the constraints that has been identified is the
> physical environment -- location and type of lighting, ergo-
> nomic configuration, access to colleagues, cubicle vs. office, etc.
> Another constraint of the workplace that affects the writing done
> is organizational culture, which includes the policies that both
> explicitly and implicitly constrain what and how we write. One
> policy we are discussing in this thread is dress code. It is
> fascinating to hear/read of all the discomfort, anger, frustra-
> tion resulting from these policies. A recent note on this list
> spoke of a worker who changed his (I *think* it was a he) work
> behavior bears out how organizational culture/policies affect
> us writers.

> I would be interested to hear about other policies imposed by
> your organizations that you feel affects your writing, and in
> what way. And you may want to send your thoughts to me directly
> or keep this tangent to the dress code thread going publically.

> Dan Lupo, Purdue University Calumet
> Department of English and Philosophy
> Bitnet: LUPODJ -at- PUCAL

It is my experience (not necessarily backed up scientifically) that, with
most people, a dress code is a noise level issue compared to the physical
environment and other organizational policies. At the risk of generalizing
(but willing to do so anyway to foster further discussion), I think that if
someone complains about the Dress Code, the problem is much deeper (i.e.,
they hate their job, they aren't happy with their career choice/progress,
their home life is depressing or frustrating, they have vices they wish
they could lose, or some combination of the above). The inverse of that
statement is that people like to look good, and dressing up is part of
that. If they are happy in general, dressing up is no big deal. [As an
aside: Some people have not figured out how to dress up comfortably.
There is such a thing as a comfortable suit and tie, but you have look for
them.]

There. That should rile up some people.