Re: Technical Writer or Technical Communicator

Subject: Re: Technical Writer or Technical Communicator
From: Jerry Blackerby <exujbl -at- EXU -dot- ERICSSON -dot- SE>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1993 11:10:33 CDT

This thread reminds me of one time when I was on jury duty.
One of the attorneys asked me what I did. I told him that I
was a Technical Writer. He looked around the courtroom with
a big smile on his face and then asked me to please tell
the court what a "Technical Rider" rides. When I replied that
"I write technical manuals", his face turned red and he
did not ask me any more questions.

I am also old-fashioned and have proudly called myself a
Technical Writer for most of these 36+ years. Recently,
I had new business cards printed with Documentation Consultant
on them. I found that it causes less adverse reaction when I quote
a rate to a client if I am considered a Documentation Consultant
than if I am considered a Technical Writer. Of course, at
the current low rates today, I hate to call myself a Consultant.

I have been called many different titles over the years, but I
still feel proud to call myself a Technical Writer.

Jerry

|| Jerry Blackerby || | ~~ || Practice random kindness ||
|| 214-907-7810 (w) || \, _} || and senseless acts of ||
|| exujbl -at- exu -dot- ericsson -dot- se || \( || beauty. ||