Phx Chapter Mbrshp Survey News

Subject: Phx Chapter Mbrshp Survey News
From: Daniel John Brinegar <6545 -at- EF -dot- GC -dot- MARICOPA -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1993 12:20:35 -0700

The analysis of the 1992 Phoenix Chapter Membership Survey is out, and
features information useful to managers, contractors/consultants,
professional communicators and wannabe's.

The informal analysis done by Heather Martin, former Phoenix Chapter
Menbership Manager, can be used to get a handle on the job market and
status for T/C's in the Phoenix/Valley of the Sun area.

Heather offers a personal perspective of data gathered on:

* Salaries of Professionals and Contractors/Consultants;

* raises as a function of experience (including "ceilings" on
communicator vs. management postions);

* workers' relationship with STC;

and overall perspectives on opportunities for aspiring T/C's and
contractors.

While the report noted that each job and employer is unique,
"there are some conclusions that could be tentatively reached," she said.
The largest salary jumps occur when members:
* Move from senior, or lead writers to management;

* show "long experience and astuteness" by belonging to STC for ten
years or more;

* gain three to five year's of professional experience as writers,
editors, artists, trainers, etc;

* become contractors or consultants.

Heather noted that "we have a very mature membership. Most members
have been in technical communication for six years or more, [but] in STC
for less than five years."
Because so many members have so much experience, Heather believes, the
survey indicates a "buyer's market" for the employers of T/C's. But the
good news for aspiring T/C's, she reports, is that neophytes can advance
to being "experienced professionals" in three to five years.

Of the 85 respondents to the survey:

* 45 percent were professional technical communicators
(not management, etc.) ;

* 15 percent were senior or lead communicators;

* 28 percent were managers;

* 21 percent were contractors or consultants;

* 8 percent were aspiring T/C's, retired, or had other duties;

(Totals do not equal 100 percent because some respondents "wear more
than one hat.")

Since so many respondents were either managers or consultants,
Heather believes that wearing her "managerial hat" while doing her
analysis helps all members (neophytes, workers, and consultants) to know
what managers in the Valley Market are looking for.

In terms of qualifications and advancement, Heather reports that
experience and knowledge of the products and tools of the trade will be
very important to job hunters and workers in all positions.

Current Membership Manager Sandra Leaverton called this analysis a
"tremendous effort" on Heather Martin's part, and she says the 1993 survey
is "being put together as we speak."

| Dan BRINEGAR aka BENU |
| Research Droid Glendale Community College |
| 6545 -at- ef -dot- gc -dot- maricopa -dot- edu Electronic Forum, Glendale, AZ |
| *Student Member, Society for Technical Communications |