Re: Messages...

Subject: Re: Messages...
From: Chuck <PETCH -at- GVG47 -dot- GVG -dot- TEK -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1993 09:11:36 -0700

Here's my two cents worth, as briefly as possible:

Messages composed and posted on Internet or sent to someone via e-mail
are more like telephone conversations than genuine correspondence. Most
are composed on the fly and sent out in a hurry (most of us have work
to do and can't spend a lot of time carefully preening e-mail) using
tools lacking spell checkers and sometimes even the capability of going
back over a message to edit it. I think it's silly and pedantic to flame
people who make minor errors in a post. Posts and e-mail are simply not
intended to be polished documents. I think most Internet readers understand
that and do not judge us or our profession for minor errors. Those wh do
are simply being unrealistic. (Note: I see a couple of errors in my own
post, but I am using a mail package that does not allow me to go back and
fix a previous line, so the errors will have to stand. I guess that makes
my point perfectly, eh?)

Chuck Petch
Technical Editor