Re: If you are not a tech writer...

Subject: Re: If you are not a tech writer...
From: Peter Montgomery <MONTGOMERY -at- CAMINS -dot- CAMOSUN -dot- BC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 7 May 1993 13:34:39 -0700

> Date: Thu, 06 May 1993 17:33:27 -0400 (EDT) Thus spake Ken Stone 6459
<krs -at- TELEOSCOM -dot- COM>

KS> I always thought that you were considered a professional X
if you were getting paid for doing X.

That's understandable. It's a common misconception.
Does a doctor,lawyer,accountant cease to be a professional
the moment they stop getting paid?
Which is the professional, the lecturer or the professor
(assuming both are being paid)?
Is it accurate to refer to a taxi driver as a professional driver?
I think it is only in that adulteration called sports that
the one getting paid is called a professional -- definitely
a distortion of the word. :)

Peter
* Peter Montgomery Montgomery -at- camosun -dot- bc -dot- ca *
* Exitus effigium effigies exituum *