Re: Interleaf

Subject: Re: Interleaf
From: Cheramie Deany M <dmc7938 -at- UCS -dot- USL -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 1993 15:47:20 GMT

Concerning the uses of Interleaf:

I teach in and administer a Technical Writing Lab that uses Interleaf. While
we do use an old version (4.0, I think) running on IBM RT PC (6150) with AIX
Operating System (I know these are _old_, but IBM Austin gave them to us
_free_), I will say that I find the software to more than adequately
meet our dtp needs. My problem with it is in teaching students to use the
software in a single 14 week semester. Some of the more complex uses are
beyond them (or they are just not interested).

One problem we do have with this old version concerns converting files from
different word-processors and graphics programs. I lose formatting when I
convert a WordPerfect file into Interleaf. Also, the graphics capabilities
the software does have is limited. Text cannot be rotated less or more than 90
degrees. And text cannot be curved in any way. Maybe the latest version
has corrected all that. I don't know as I haven`t seen a demonstration of it
yet.

But still, Interleaf is better than any other dtp I`ve worked on so for (not
that I've worked on that many 8-) ).

deany m. cheramie
University of Southwestern Louisiana
deany -at- ucs -dot- usl -dot- edu

Disclaimer: "What disclaimer? We don't need no stinking disclaimers!"

"Considering the state of finances at our public universities, we don't
turn away donations, nor do we feel shame at accepting them. Why? Do
you want to donate?"
-what our campus president
_should_ have said-