Re: Teach 'em to fish, don't give 'em fish (this one's safe too)

Subject: Re: Teach 'em to fish, don't give 'em fish (this one's safe too)
From: "Laurel Lynam, SPIE" <LAUREL -at- MOM -dot- SPIE -dot- ORG>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 09:29:08 -0700

I subscribe to the same theory about educating user's about WHY a thing
is set up in such a manner. This cuts down on user complaints about system
unfriendliness or slowness (particularly bad in that we have a 100+ user
VAX and they are comparing it to their PC with Windows they use at home!)

I have found also that educating people about the "behind-the-scenes"
interactions of one software with another or how the VMS operating system
causes a particular reaction/speed, helps users to use the system more
intelligently. So I add that sort of background to documentation and more
often to my verbal training sessions.....

< Laurel Lynam -- SPIE -- The International Society >
< Computer Support for Optical Engineering >
< laurel -at- mom -dot- spie -dot- org Bellingham, WA >
< Not only to say the right thing in the right >
< place, but far more difficult still; to leave >
< unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. >
< - George Sala >