Re: Computer Literacy

Subject: Re: Computer Literacy
From: Richard elGurutm Howland-Bolton <reh1 -at- CORNELL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 07:44:47 -0500

>> understanding of how computers respond when you type something in. They
>> aren't afraid that if they type the wrong thing the system will explode...

>I met a computer trainer who said he had been making significant progress
>helping an elderly and timid woman overcome her computer-phobia. One of
>his favorite consoling phrases was, "don't worry about making mistakes,
>the computer won't blow up!".

When I was training novices I used to do a spiel (is that the right
spielling? :-) ) about how this fear was all the fault of Star Trek, and
how the only way to harm your computer is to take a hammer and.... I have
since become more circumspect after having had three or four monitors die
more or less sectacularly (though never when training). I have even seen
(though nor really followed) some discussion in the virus-l of software
that changes the sync rate of certain monitors in such a way that
components can overheat and blow!
Mr Spock where are you?

Richard E. Howland-Bolton
Manager Publications Computing
Publications Guru
Cornell University
Internet: reh1 -at- cornell -dot- edu
or: Richard_Howland-Bolton -at- cornell -dot- edu
ftp: 132.236.39.28 (put&get, 8am to 3pm est,
Compuserve: 71041,2133 mon-fri, please mail first)
AppleLink: CUGURU
Voice: (607) 255-9455
FAX: (607) 255-5684
Post: Publications, East Hill Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14850
Etc, etc.
"I'll have my computer get in touch with your computer"