Avoiding the Secretary Syndrome

Subject: Avoiding the Secretary Syndrome
From: Brenda Gordon <YKF13 -at- TTACS -dot- BITNET>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1993 22:26:00 CDT

Katie,
I was a technical writer for a group of over 100 engineers
(all male) for two years. I never had a problem with any of
them trying to use me as a secretary, whether they thought
of me as one I don't know. I couldn't have controlled their
thinking one way or the other. (Anymore than you will be able
to control the responses to your question.) What I did do,
was treat them with respect. When I went to work on a
project I went prepared. I researched their projects ahead
of time, I asked lots of questions, I sent inquiries, I
double checked everything I wrote, and I listened more than
anything. I think I earned their respect by showing them
what I was--a damned good writer. Then I worked hard
everyday to remind them of it. I do the same thing with my
students.

Brenda Gordon
Texas Tech University
ykf13 -at- ttacs1