Re: Computer Literacy

Subject: Re: Computer Literacy
From: Stuart Selber <SSELBER -at- MTUS5 -dot- CTS -dot- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1993 19:50:32 EST

ie. computer literacy. In addition to the skills listed by many on the list, I
think we should consider within our discussion of computer literacy the social,
political, ethical, rhetorical, and pedagogical issues related to computer use
as it occurs within institutions. Some important work has been done (Langdon
Winner, Sproull and Kiesler, Michael Schrage, Shoshana Zubboff, Jay Bolter and
others) that suggests computers shape in central ways (both productively and
unproductively) the activities surrounding their use. Those of who are
increasingly using computers for work realize how our work habits and patterns,
processes and products, change. Part of literacy, it seems to me, is an
understanding of this change (and thus an opportunity, perhaps, to work against
it when we see inequities or highly bright technical communicators working as
typists).

Stuart Selber
Michigan Tech