Novelists

Subject: Novelists
From: Vignes Gerard M <gmv0570 -at- UCS -dot- USL -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1993 04:22:15 GMT

In my opinion a novelist is a much better candidate
for an effective technical writer than would be
an engineer or technical type.

It seems to me that many technical types do not understand
that their audience may be unfamiliar with key concepts
and thus fail to properly develop the context
within which the material being presented
can be readily grasped.

A novel requires extensive development of key ideas
such as setting, characters, background, etc.
and anyone who can be considered a novelist
must know how to develop this 'context'
in as palatable a manner as practical.

In my experience, some technical types are contemptuous of
the general public's ignorance of technical issues.

Not a good attitude to approach one's work with...

Gerard