Trademarks

Subject: Trademarks
From: Helen Cyr <hacyr -at- GOMEZ -dot- AMD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 1993 17:05:26 CST

We have a basic rule here that boils down to CYA on company
trademarks. This includes the required descriptive noun, tming
at first occurence and all the other helpful hints mentioned.
Our legal staff has implied (don't hold me or AMD responsible)
that as far as third-party companies are concerned, you should
try to follow the TM with the correct noun (e.g., Frisbee(tm) flying disc)
but don't sweat trying to cover the company in the small print legal-eze
info UNLESS YOUR COMPANY IS IN CONTRACTURAL AGREEMENT
TO RECOGNIZE THAT SPECIFIC THIRD-PARTY TRADEMARK. It is
always nice to give credit to third-party marks if you know them and the
document is small enough for you to catch them all, but be careful...
If you mark one you must mark them all. We use the general disclaimer
"Other product names used in this publication are for identification
purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective companies."

If a company writes you a TM info letter listing specific rules for using
their particular TM, you must use the noun form and do anything else
requested. However, I DON'T THINK they can make you call it out
in the fine print unless there is a contract agreement between the
two companies. Again, rules are different in each state and
this is my "educated" conclusion so I wouldn't base a defense on it.

Good luck, it's definitely a legal jungle out there!!!

Helen A. Cyr
Advanced Micro Device