Re: Workflow?

Subject: Re: Workflow?
From: Nina Barzgaran <nina -dot- barzgaran -at- barzgaran -dot- at>
To: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2022 06:04:59 +0200

Hello There, interesting discussion to start. I always think, in short: It's best to work with the setup as necessary for product and stakeholders - and thinking of long-term needs as well as effects.

If you throw your weight about too much, for example, you may get what you need once - but people will be irritated next time around. The third time it won't work at all.

Yes, I also made some useful suggestions, regarding GUI design or menu labelling.
When you keep in mind what 'hangs on' the whole story you may become aware that this is not an easy question to answer, really.

Very important is company culture and the understanding of the role a technical writer should have - or has - in the overall process.
It easily happens that the (sometimes highly) competitive atmosphere prevents good suggestions or input to be taken - especially in a 'public' place like a meeting that has all stakeholders present: such as a Sprint review.

I am advocating a peaceful and productive collaboration - but fear of being misrepresented as regards skills in such surroundings can easily prevent that.

Crucial also to me can be what the actual 'definition of done' requires: If the documentation is *not* part of that in actual fact developers are not asked to support its creation as part of their tasks. Which also means that they have to focus on (other) tasks required of them.
I think a lot depends on this: Do developers have it as part of their working tasks - or not? Is t possible for them, in real life, to - for example - 'log work' (as the Jira term has it) on a documentation ticket?

I spent a lot of time in review meetings. I would say though, since setups changed, workplaces too, it was about 5/10.

Last but not least: I love to take part in it. It makes a lot easier. Yet, its also important to get a true understanding of the product design, the actual 'what is meant to do?' idea.

Happy reviewing and documenting!

Nina

Am 26.08.2022 20:42, schrieb Peter Neilson:

I think the worst case is when the user interface (and perhaps even more) changes after the documentation is finished. Bug reports from the field come in claiming the docs are wrong, even if the last-minute revisions introduce real bugs.

"Why can't you just change a few words, and maybe a screen shot or two?" say the guys in software dev. Back when manuals were photo-offset printed, on a ten-week lead time, there was no way to correct the documentation except to wait for the next release.

Of course there is always the difficulty of trying to get info from a recalcitrant dev team. "We don't have time for that." On one occasion a writer put into the review copies, "For any questions about [this product] call 617-879-xxxx any time, day or night." Dev guy said, "Hey you can't say that. That's my home phone number!" We told him, "We won't say that if we get the info we asked for three months ago."

On 8/26/22 14:15, Robert Lauriston wrote:

If nobody's going to listen to my suggestions, I don't care when I see it,
except that it would be nice if it was before the thing shipped.
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as nina -dot- barzgaran -at- barzgaran -dot- at -dot-

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com