Re: Interested in input from managers and individual contributors on hiring newbies

Subject: Re: Interested in input from managers and individual contributors on hiring newbies
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Van Laan, Krista" <Krista -dot- VanLaan -at- itron -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 14:13:09 -0700

If "no experience" means a new grad who has never had a job of ANY kind except being a student, that's a tough one. In 25 years as a manager I never hired anyone like that.

During my years as a manager I made quite a few "new" tech writers out of field service, manufacturing and lab techs. Most of these people had experience doing writing of some kind in their previous jobs (proposals, reports, etc.) or were reviewers of documents being written, and that was enough to give them a starting place.

If you are a student now, look for opportunities to acquire experience. Internships, research and teaching assistant postings, student publications, etc. Anything that demonstrates your ability to gather information, organize it and produce a coherent result, especially if requires meeting deadlines. That's the kind of stuff hiring managers want to see in a writer candidate.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/19/2021 9:30 AM, Van Laan, Krista wrote:

For hiring managers: How do you recruit new hires who have no experience?

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com